- My Videos
Compatible Fish for Turtles
Possible fish to add with your Turtles:
I’m told any fish that are in there can end up being the turtles food. Some say their turtles eat everything. But I think if you provide a nice environment (I’m no expert), the fish can hide or get away and co-exist with the turtles. You need rocks or plants or some setup where the fish can escape the turtles.
Here are the ones that might be ok (might want to double check)
Fish We have:
- Bala Shark (3) – Got 3 baby ones
- Cherry Barb (2) – The Petsmart guy said don’t mix it with Tiger Barbs but it seems to be doing fine. We have tons of places for it to hide.
- Tiger Barbs (5) - We got 3 for $2.99 each but the yellow eared slider ate one. He’s left the other two alone so far. Then we got a 3rd one again. Then we got 2 more. He tried to bite one last night but it got away.
- Cory Catfish (We have 4 Green, one Speckled). They get along great. The turtles leave them alone.
- Golden Rosey Barb. We have two. It was on sale $2.27.
- Chinese Algae Eater
- Plecos - Eat up Allege and moss. We have one that’s small sized. It’s supposed to stay small. Make sure you get the small version unless you want a huge one.
- Ghost Shrimp - Eat up little pieces of food. We keep buying those. The catfish eat them. We can get them 8 for $1. We’ve put in 40-50+. They’re so much fun to watch.
- Rainbow Sharks (2) – eat up food/waste. Seems to get along great with everything. We have two regular ones.
- Guppies or (no goldfish they are too fatty and have very little nutritional value). We have guppies and after only 3 days they had a bunch of babies. We put in 13 and now have 10 still (3/27/12). We put another red and yellow one in.
- 2 male Blonde Tux Delta Guppy
- Rosy Minnows – We put in 5 and the big turtle at 4 in one day. 3 left (5/6/2012)
- Aquatic Snails/Apple Snails. Two died, I think something is eating them. I put in one more Golden Mystery Snail.
Don’t have but are supposedly ok
- Otocinclus - Something totally ate two of those. No idea what.